Short of GBA games, a Nintendo DS and R4DS combination can be used to run (on emulation) games from a myriad of other platforms such as the NES and the SNES.
Here's a guide on how to run SNES games on the Nintendo DS with an R4DS:
- First, you'll need a SNES emulator that can run on the R4. I would recommend SNEmulDS, by archeide. You can grab the zip file at his website located here.
- Unzip the file to a convenient location in your Desktop. The file contents should look something like the screenshot below.
- Copy the two files: SNEmulDS.nds and snemul.cfg to the root directory of your MicroSD card.
- Once this is done, create a folder called SNES in the root directory of your MicroSD card. This is the location where you store all your SNES roms.
- Place some roms inside the SNES folder.
- Start the Nintendo DS, with the R4 and MicroSD card inserted and run the SNEmulDS.nds file. From here onwards it's just selecting the SNES ROM that you wish to run.