Thursday, September 13, 2007

Mech, Interrupted

My intention at first was to install Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries onto the PC, but then the demo for Enemy Territory: Quake Wars came along, and one thing led to another; the result being my PC getting pwned.


Here's abit of a primer on the rig I'm using. It's a Athlon XP 64 3000+ (laugh all you want), a gigabyte of RAM and a ATI 1600 PRO video card with 256 MB of video RAM. And the way it ran Quake Wars was a downright embarassment. This is the same machine that I've played through Quake 4 TWICE.

My first impression of Quake Wars was that it was very pretty. But the prettiness came with a downside of being unable to move due to very bad lag when I ran it on Windows XP. Feeling a bit slighted, I decided to do the crazy thing by installing the demo with Windows Vista.

With a bit of tweaking, the game ran... and I was able to play albeit with some lag and it got worse as the game went on. I think I had around 15 minutes of game time before ending the game and trying to exit to Windows (trying as in the game left me with a black screen to no where right after the credits).

Looks like it's time to upgrade the old rig, it's way pass its expiry date anyways; before this my PCs tend not to last more than a year. I wonder what are my options...