Thursday, December 27, 2007

Jam Sessions DS and How To Unlock More Songs

I was asked at a Christmas gathering on whether do I know how to play a guitar. Even though the answer was no, and putting aside that I actually know how to play the electronic organ, I'm actually rather interested in picking up playing the guitar.

So, I did something that I've always wanted to do when I purchased Jam Sessions for the Nintendo DS, which is to hook up my Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 subwoofer system to my Nintendo DS while playing that game.

Having done that, it really sounded like I was playing the guitar. So if anyone were to ask whether I know how to play a guitar, I would probably answer, I don't know about the acoustic or electric guitar, but I sure can play an "electronic" one with a touch screen on it.

Jam Sessions allows you to be that guitarist you always wanted to be (this might be hyperbole)..and then some. The keys are, depending on whether you are right handed or a southpaw, are controlled by the directional pad and u strum by sliding the stylus up or down the touch screen.

The European version, which I own, comes with some a plethora of songs,and some, can be unlocked using a special code entered during the Free Play mode: up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right. If you are using the left-handed mode, key in the following combination: X, X, B, B, Y, A, Y, A.

Now, if you may excuse me, I'm gonna try to be Pete Townshend and not trash the touchscreen at the same time.

To get the original Japanese guitar simulation game that inspired Jam Sessions, click here. For purchasing info for Jams Session (US Edition), click here