Sunday, July 22, 2007

Done and Done

It wasn't too much trouble to finish reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Despite the formidable size of the book, it's no harder than say... reading Richard Adam's Watership Down. The ending proved to be a rather traditional and satisfying one, which provided closure to alot of stuff, especially if you are coming in from the previous books and/or concerned of the fate of a certain Mr. Potter.

Anyways, this is certainly better than the crap that is still hanging around my bookshelf: Tash Aw's The Harmony Silk Factory. I don't get critics. It's so boring that I have more fun flicking a lighter...or clipping nails. I'm sorry Mr. Aw, but your first effort is indeed appalling. Buying the book is the result of bringing in a compulsive shopping habit into a bookstore. Somethings...you can never get rid off.

Death is like a permanent theme for this book (it's there on the title) and with a soaring death count, I think parents of little children will have a more difficult time explaining it to their young audience at bed time. Talking more about the book willl definately cause me to reveal spoilers so here's my rating: 7/10... pretty good.