Monday, October 23, 2006

Casual Gaming Experiment

I did some sort of casual gaming experiment last Friday night at a birthday party. The total number of people attending the party was 9 and I left my Nintendo DS loaded with Mario Kart on a table which was located a distance away from me but where everyone could see it.

Sure enough, with humans being curious beings, some of the attendees began to take notice of the device without any compulsion from me. Out of the 3, only one had held a Nintendo DS before but all three have never played Mario Kart.

2 out of 3 of them managed to get 1st place position in a race within a few minutes of play each and with very little instruction needed; I can tell you that they were pretty much engrossed as well. It just goes to show that great pick-me-up games are central to the whole casual gaming experience.

Games that fit in this kind of category definately warrant a write-up in this blog.